Sunday, September 4, 2011

It's Good to Be a Konrad

So, big news.  We're finally parents..or at least of a post-utero baby.  Although this is mentioned in the previous post, but what a stinking healthy baby.  Daniel came into this world weighing a whopping 8lbs 4oz and stretched a good 20 3/4 inches.  Born 9:32pm.  What a stud.  He looks so darn good.  He has a few zits, but we'll just limit his pizza intake and that should help. 

We had so many wonderful visitors yesterday and I especially want to thank Rick Elsasser, Eric Konrad, and Laurie Konrad...for feeding me.  The hospital food would have been great, but I never thought to eat until the cafeteria closed.  I am in your debt for eternity though. 

I'm sure you would all love the details of the whole ordeal, but I'll be discrete.  We arrived at the hospital at 7:20am, Katie began the Pitocin at 9am, began pushing at 8pm, and had a baby at 9:32pm.  The hardest part of the process was waiting.  I've been told this is often the case for inducing first-time mothers.  Katie had been a trooper with her contractions for quite a bit, but we decided to go with the epidural and I'm very thankful they did so.  The rest of the day was less about the pain and more about the wait.  We watched some good movies though and luckily the hospital has free wireless for when Kate took her naps.  Our nurses were amazing (Dorothy and Connie) and Dr. Harper-Harrison was "da bomb". 

After Daniel was cleaned, we chilled a bit before moving to our recovery room.  Katie was quite hungry as she was only allowed to eat crackers, italian ice bars, and jello...which she was not supposed to eat either...but we're rule-breakers.  I was just hungry because I'm always hungry.  Because we didn't eat until 12:30pm and the doors were closed, we didn't want me to leave, and there were not many options in our pantry that late at night...I got creative.  I whipped up a 4 course meal though.  First:  Bagel with jelly, Next:  Bagel with butter, Third:  Chili Cheese Fritos, and Lastly...the dessert:  Twix bars.  I had a frozen muffin. We did not sleep too well the following night because Daniel's appetite and my "pull-out bed" which was about 16 square feet. 

Yesterday, Saturday, was wonderful because of all the friends an family that came.  Daniel was passed wonderfully and nurses/doctors continued to sing him praises of how well he's doing.  He breathes, eats, pees and poops so well.  I'm getting pretty good at wrapping him up like a burrito too.  I'm thinking I'll try the fajita wrap on him sometime...

So..what to say?  Thank you everyone who supported us through prayer and other means.  We know that so many of you have offered your aid in the time to come and we certainly look forward to taking advantage of those offers and hope we can do the same for you.  We're very blessed to have you in our lives and cannot wait to share this journey with you.  Daniel's amazing.  We love him more than anything.  There's no doubt in my mind that many of you know what we mean when we say that and we're excited to act that out in our lives.  Here's some pics to wet your whistle.

Grandma Patty

Nana K

Grandpa K

Broccoli Monster

First Family Picture

Greasy hair, double chin, and a baby.

Beautiful



No comments:

Post a Comment