Sunday, April 15, 2012

Alabama Food

That's right folks, while you were eating your corn in Nebraska, I was enjoying some southern comfort food in Alabama.  I'm just kidding.  I've had some pretty amazing food in the Cornhusker state, but there was an elderly woman down south who, after hearing me exclaim how much I was loving the food, stated, "Well, that's cause you don't get food like this up in Nebraska!".  I started to tell her about Runzas, but thought I better keep my mouth shut.  
Digital native right there.
Anyways, so I did spend a good portion of this week either on the road to/from or in Alabama.  As many of you read last week, my Poppy (excuse my spelling last week, I don't usually write it out) or my Grandfather on my mother's side, passed away on Easter and I went down with my family to honor his memory.  Everything from the memorial service to the honoring of his remains was quite beautiful.  I also got to see lots of relatives I had not seen for awhile and am ashamed that I did not take more...or any...pictures.  So, most of the pictures you will see below are from Katie.  Thank you all for the kind comments in regards to the loss of my Pop.  He truly was a great man and I'm proud to be his grandson.  
Daniel's Easter gift!
I don't have much to report in terms of Daniel except that he's standing up so quickly now and crawls like it is nobody's business.  Katie has a prediction as to when he'll be walking...what do YOU think?  My cousin has a 11-month old that is about the same size as Daniel and she's walking around like crazy.  It was so funny seeing her zoom around the room (nice rhyme).  Daniel, on the other hand, just...plops...around the room.  I'm beginning to think his rear-end has some natural type of cushion...I need to go easy on the ellipsis.
Playing with his buddy Duncan. 
Along with our time in Alabama, I spent a lot of time in the car.  We drove through Kansas, Mississippi (how many of you just spelt this either outloud or in your head?), Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Illinois, and Kentucky.  We took a different way there than we did back.  I should elaborate more on some food I had.  Because of our loss, many women brought over dishes for our family...oh...wow.   Chicken Casserole, Butter Beans, Macaroni and Cheese Casserole, Fried Chicken, Potato....Casserole, Rolls, TONS of Sweet Tea, Banana Pudding, Pie, Cake, Corn on the Cob, Ham...oh yum...It was so very tasty.  C'mon, Nebraska...ball's in your court.  On a side note (but not really) I also tried grits for the first time...the jury's still out, but I ate MOST of it!  I have a pretty wonderful Nana (grandmother) who made me breakfast every morning with bacon, egg, and sausage.  It was a joy spending so much time with her and the family (I think I was 32 more pounds though). 
Riding my head like a horsy. 
While I was gone, Katie unfortunately was single mom and had to take care of Daniel while preparing for a busy weekend with her sister's baby shower going on.  It sounds like it was a great success.  Boy, I bet Daniel's excited to have another cousin to hang with!  Welp, we launch into a busy week (for me at least) with District Music Contest and our annual Pancake Feed fundraiser on Sunday.  I might be a bit delayed with my update...but we'll see! 
Daniel's cousin right there..two actually =)

2 comments: